Friday, July 1, 2011

A New Day Dawns

It's 8am on a Friday. The freshly cleaned windows of my high rise apartment mean little today thanks to the dust storm which still blankets our country. Cars meander up the freeway, in an endless string heading either to Saudi or Manama or within those general directions at least. There are gaps today between vehicles, it is after all the Holy day for this city. Family day, a day for more prayers and after lunch a day for shopping. Hourly from now the road traffic shall grow thicker until twelve hours from now when the roads will be a congested hell as usual.
A perfect day to stay indoors and watch the craziness of humans build to the point of total road choking capacity, and then as progressive as it built, slowly watch it all dissipate again from around 10pm.

Nothing could complete me more than a day of sitting, sipping coffee in the luxurious comfort of my own apartment, watching the world maddeningly rush by. It's a "stop and smell the roses" scenario that so many girlfriends past, have told me I never did in the early years. Too busy was I to climb the ladder of progression within my own industry that I never stopped to ask where the ladder actually lead. After three decades of climbing I can't wait to get back down the ladder now, so that i can just do this. Sit, Sip coffee and watch the maddening world rush by.

Leaders of industry I tip my hat to, they sacrifice so much. Life is all we have, to work it from begining to end seems pointless to me now. Many of us see their fat pay cheques and their wealth and bemuse the easy life it must attain. I do not. I know for a fact that wealthy people have their own problems. I dated the heiress of a small Anitpodean fortune. Her family had more thorns than a freshly picked rose, and just as much unhappiness within them all.
I enjoyed a successful early career, yet I never felt better than the day I turned tail and walked away from it all. I had achieved everything that the text books had told me I should want. Yet happiness came from the freedom of doing nothing at all.
My mother would describe to me, her own youthful days on the streets of Melbourne at the Crown Cafe, drinking Chocolate milkshakes (back in the day when they were really chocolatey and really thick). She loved sitting there just watching the crowds go by. Same reason she would sit at train station a few blocks away. Crowds of people interested her, more specifically the faces and emotions of the  individuals that made up the crowd, made her contemplate - that even poor and unhappy, she was better off being the viewer rather than the viewed.
I have developed her same thought patterns, albeit from a 26th floor vantage point. Some days I enjoy sitting sipping coffee among the people. Their foibles make me laugh and give me something to write about too, but it is the overview I truly enjoy rather than the minutia.
I love to see the country, not just the people, and the way it reacts. The dust storms, the traffic, the builders on the work sight before me, the mall as it wakens for another day of operation and the troops on the streets and their encampment.
Its fun to watch any city awaken. It s even more fun to have the chance to sit here all day and watch it interact with itself. Have a great day everyone. I'm watching !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment