Sunday, September 11, 2011

Life’s Little Orgasm for Hard Workers


O.M.G.

OH MY GOD !!…

I’ve been missing out on something for so long ......and not one of my friends has explained the realities of life to me…Not one of them !
We jokingly referred to it over lunches among the Musketeers but none of us had really experienced it for a long time as we all lived within the confines of the life Bahrain had given us. Few of my local friends could have ever explained it either, many of them had relegated their lives to the Middle East and had lived in the same manner as we did.
But now I’m living a different life for a period of time and these past few days I experienced something more enjoyable than an orgasm….
A two and three day weekend!
If you live in the Western World….right now you have NO IDEA of the joy I’m experiencing.
But for those friends who I left behind in the dessert oasis we call home, let me explain my joy.
First of all the Corporate culture has kidded themselves into believing that they should do something for the environment, being such good people that we are here in Wysteria Lane.
So despite the fact they all drive oversized behemoths of vehicles that chug back gas(petrol) like a thirsty camel, they decided a while back to introduce what is known as a 9/80.
This refers to a 9 day working fortnight (two weeks) whereby you work one hour extra a day and thus by working SO HARD.. and doing 80 hours faster,  you do not need to transit in your vehicle on the tenth day…and of course this saves the environment so much carbon emissions that you have not only gained a 3 day weekend but also saved the planet.
What amazing people.!! (despite the fact everyone this weekend is driving to Santa Monica for the beach which is actually 30 minutes further than work and then the same trip back- the cynic in me fails to see the environment enjoying the difference?)
And does this additional time make everyone more work conscious and more productive? Hell no…!
You see obviously everyone can not take their 9/80 or additional day off on the same day, otherwise the office would be unmanned. So there are heavy days of absences and light ones. I enjoyed the heavy one yesterday when the majority where off and the skeleton crew worked. Well let me use that term lightly.
You see there where so few people there, we could not get the answers to anything we needed , emails went unanswered and unsent and we eventually left early because there was no-one left to worry if we stayed longer or not.
So the fact is, the people on the light days are enjoying an 8 ½ day fortnight.
Many of you in the outside world may enjoy similar lives.
But my closest friends and I have worked  ten days out of twelve fortnight for so long and many of us where even lucky then to even get a singular day off some months. Our particular industry is unrelenting. I have not myself had a two day weekend since the early nineties let alone a three day one.
The two and three day weekend…. Life’s little orgasm for hard workers!
I love corporations and am glad I finally found this existence.
I am a new man. A happy man, and today I am busier….Seriously… I gotta get ready to go to Santa Monica beach, go swimming, have a dinner party tonight at the Vice President of Marketing’s house and tomorrow, well I’ll just kick back and have a long sleep in ……..then contemplate more fun things to do.
I can’t wait to go back to work on Monday and tell everyone how amazing this is…




2 comments:

  1. What!! 3 day weekend? You live in paradise. So jealous.

    Environment has no benefit but you do. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title is so apt! Brilliantly put!!

    ReplyDelete