Saturday, September 3, 2011

EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OKAY !


I love movies!
Not your fluffy Hollywood romance, not your big extravagant Blockbuster, not the movies about sporting successes or exaggerated truths. I'm a fan of Sci-Fi for sure, but they are not, believe it or not the first choice for me. 
I'm a addict of the pain, heart break and desire movies that most of you will run away from. 
Movies that have a hidden message, movies that make me cry in the sanctity, safety and solitude of my own sofa. 
Movies I'm too scared with my fragile heart, to view in public cinemas.
All time favorites include Smilas Sense of Snow, To Gillian on her 32nd Birthday, The Messenger, Remember Me and most recently "THE BEAVER", starring Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster.

I agree, whole heartedly that these are not always your cheery, fun loving, have a ball kind of movies. Sometimes it even takes me 2 or 3 attempts to get through the first viewing. 
They often start slow and are definately not filled with explosions and heart pumping adrenalin. 
What they have is heart and soul and usually a message. 
Sometimes the message is , I believe, directly descended from my own history. Perhaps those who see the vision that the producer had when making such a film can only be viewed and heard because we have all suffered the same issues in life. A broken heart, a parent suffering psychosis, a friend ripped from our lives or simply a momentary bump along life's long road which causes us reflection.

From each of them though I come away different. 
Perhaps it's the outpouring of emotion, perhaps its the thanks that somewhere in the world, to have made this movie, I finally know that there is some body else feeling the same emotional vibrations from the cosmos that I can feel reverberating in my soul.....that feeling, that I am not alone !!!

The following speech is from the final moments of "The Beaver" - "Nora's Gradation Speech" and it connects with me. 
Ask not why or how..... just read!
If it connects with you, then this posting has been a success. 
If it does not, then carry on; richer for having stopped by for a momentary reading of nothing more than words.
The words will always be here and you never know; One day..... you may desire to come back, when you finally feel that "bump" in your own highway of life, when the cosmos vibrates upon your soul disturbing the equilibrium of your previously placid existence.

"Good afternoon, graduates, dead poets, painters,  future Einsteins and all those in between.
Today I’m here to warn you are that you being lied to !
Our parents, our teachers, our doctors have lied to us, and it’s the exact same lie,  the same six words… “Everything is going to be okay”
But what if it isn’t?  
What if some of human experience is just something you inherit, like curly hair or blue eyes?
What if pain is just in your DNA?
And tragedy is your birth right ?
Or what if,  sometimes, right out of the blue, when you least expect it
Shit just happens!
Okay I’m sure you’re all thinking just now, Man; this is the darkest graduation speech I’ve have ever heard. And it is, I agree with you.
But I didn't write it.
I've spent so much time waiting for this lie to come true, that i finally paid someone to tell the truth for me...
“I’m not okay.  Not at all.
The truth is, I’m missing something! The thing I loved the most, the face I wish was in the front row right now. The brother I’ll never get back!
So what do I do with that?
What do any of us, do with that?
Besides lie !
This is what I believe.....
Right now, in this auditorium there is someone who is with you; someone who is willing to pick you up, dust you off, kiss you, forgive you, put up with you, wait for you, carry you, love you….
So while everything may not always be okay, one thing I know is true !
You do not have to be alone!"

Don't forget to buy your copy of Bahrain This Month magazine and join us every month for the latest James Claire insights!! and much much more....(http://www.bahrainthismonth.com/)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, James. How often we let so moments pass by us, without a thought. Only when you see movies such as these or even literature, it makes you think. Thank you for making me think.

    The zoo article seems so valid. I hate going to the zoos, and haven't taken my daughter to one so far.Something really doesn't seem right at the zoo.

    ReplyDelete