Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What Happened to Moving Forward !

Some days it feels like this planet is moving one step forward and five steps backward.
As a youth we watched such forward thinking series as Logans Run, Buck Rogers and Battlestar Gallactica, Star Trek, Star Wars and Lost In Space (all the original series).
Along with those there were the original reality shows such as Beyond 2000 and the science shows of the time. They were amazing and pretty much said that the USA was ahead of the curve in everything on earth.
Back then in the early 80’s the United States of America truly was the Super Power of the planet.
We looked up to them in all things motor vehicle, all things hotel and all things modern and futuristic.
W.T.F.!!!
And W.H.P.?
What Happened People?
Is it me or is the USA now several decades behind everyone else. I mean we know that their dollar has slipped back in to the 1970’s compared to other currencies but seriously, why does it have to be the only country on the planet that still uses miles instead of kilometres, pound s and ounces instead of kilograms and grams and why can’t they accept that we all use Celsius as a measurement for temperature instead of the antiquated Fahrenheit scale.
Come on…
Get with the game people.
We live on ONE planet, yet some of us call a spade a spade but the USA has to call it a shovel…!
Why can’t we just agree on a singular temperature scale, a solitary unit system for measurement and so on.
I don’t care about your currency systems, keep them. The US Dollar isn’t worth that much these days anyway.
 The EU and the Euro have proven the flaws in that ideal of going to singular currency units for groups of countriess. The fact is Euros may become more valuable one day because they simply may not exist very shortly if any more of the EU countries file bankruptcy.
Sadly though it’s more than weights, more than temperature scales that are missing in the modern USA
I grew up working in the antipodean isles for a US based Hotel chain. We strictly had to observe a code of conduct as designated to us from the corporates in Head Office a billion miles away from our own country. And we were scared to change anything. Five Star hotels worked hard to maintain their ratings and we had such policies as never letting a phone ring more than 3 times, anywhere, anytime, any department. We were even told the words to say upon picking up that phone and the way to handle all customers, via phone, on the fly and face to face from front desk to back of house.

I  have just stayed in “Wysteria Lane” at a top rated and not inexpensive 5 star hotel chain and let me tell you, they certainly did not have the same rating system we had down under.
Upon arrival, room key cards did not work, they did not work the following day either, or the day after that. Bed sheets had been left by the housemaid on the television, not on the bed? I’m not even sure in the end of she changed them or not.
I tried calling my colleagues in another room, the system put me through to the front desk, the front desk operator who did not answer the first four times, eventually told me it’s not their job to take messages and put me through to the in room message system which, you guessed it, put me back through to front desk.
After 25 minutes I gave up and did not care if my colleagues  met me or not.
Perhaps I had a bad week and the hotel had a worse one. But something tells me not. Laundry returned to me was first sent to the wrong room, hotel charges included movies I had never watched and on check out everyone lined up waiting for tips. 
ARE YOU KIDDING ME PEOPLE !!!
Tips in my country are for service !!!
Not for your existence only on my point of exit,  as I load the bags into the car myself!!!
What happened to the super power  who had all the answers and possessed all the standards which everybody else aimed for.
Perhaps with call centers and manufacturing they also sent Common Sense and Professionalism off shore years ago as well.
It’s a real pity . 
I guess Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica now have to be made in China with Chinese actors, they seem to be the smartest people of our time and maybe that’s where our future lay.
Instead of Cisco, Janeway and Captain James Tiberius Kirk at the helm of the Enterprise it should have been Juan Hung Lo and his Chinese counterparts.
Let’s get back to the quality standards we set our selves before and let’s get the planet on one line of thinking for all things. 
And please don’t think that I’m bashing America, I just don’t see the sense in double standards for one tiny planet. None of us can agree on religion or politics that I understand, but seriously why can’t we just agree on grams, kilometres and Celsius. 
We are one people , on a singular planet, why must their be multiple answers for the same questions to confuse matters.
It’s bad enough I keep driving on the wrong side of the road.
Live long and prosper  folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment