Sunday, October 2, 2011

ONE WORLD…No More Running !!

Part of what gives me the words that I so lovingly adore to scribe onto these pages for all to read, is that I have traveled.
Traveled more than most in fact. Even a close friend who is a stewardess for a major airline, would have a hard time counting as many countries into her life diary as myself.
Yesterday as I touched down on Tahitian shores, I hit my 80th country on which my feet have stood.
And as with the seventy-nine before her, Tahiti filled my heart with peace.
A feeling that I was home.
I was born in Australia, many many years ago.
I left school at 13, left home at 17 and left my country of birth at 18.
Since that day and perhaps even before, I never felt like I belonged anywhere.
I had amazing parents, I had a wonderful loving childhood and have been blessed with a sensational career, simply put, I never felt like I was born to the right country and there are times I feel I was even born before or perhaps after the period in which I was destined to have lived.
Wrong time, wrong place has lead me to run away, constantly as I have put it to many of my friends.
I try to settle, to find a permanent base, and yet after a very short period of time, I up and run… one more time.
One planet, so many cultures and so many borders and I really would love to see them all, shake the hands of some one from every race and talk to someone from every country that inhabits the singular entity on which we all live..
Big task, but small ask I feel.
We never ask to be born here, so why not make the absolute most of it once you realize that your career has succeeded enough to give you both the finances and the wings on which to travel.
Hitting mile markers in age make it a requirement to try and re-adjust my thinking. That and the soft sands of Bora Bora today…No this is not country 81… I have been here twice before.
But I’m aging, fast…and this continued travel makes me wonder if I will ever settle down, find a family to adopt me or even have one of my own.
But here’s the paradox in which today I find myself…I sit on the sands of Bora Bora, swim in her seas and relate to the people today , shop in her stores like I have been here for years and chat to the locals as if they are friends…
It is as if I have lived here forever…

I’m comfortable here, in fact everywhere I go I am comfortable.
I interact with every culture with ease. From Peru to Papeete, Russia, Japan, the Middle East- wherever I don’t mind war zones or fighting, I don’t take sides, but actually can see both sides of the coin in most arguments.
Instead of running away, instead of considering my self as a nomad, a close friend actually put it all into perspective for me in a recent email
I keep saying that I’m running away …but he proposes that I’m not .
I’m not running away.
I’m coming home……..one country at a time.
As industry has generated the need for globalization, as the Eurozone pulled down its borders, as the world shrank due to air travel for all of us….
So perhaps this has all given birth to a newer era of humanity. Once we discussed the Baby Boomers ,  Generation X and the Y Generation, well perhaps this is the first of the Earth Generation . True citizens of the planet, not of a country with borders. Our borders are the limits to which flight can take us off this rock and the limits of gravity and the atmophere, not man made borders on its lands.
We have no need for a passport of a singular nationality, we detest being branded within the borders of any nation and we see no sense of multiple currencies.
In my country, Earth, we are all one.
I wish we could all live with the same thoughts.
I love you all and you all return that love no matter where I travel. When I visit or come to stay , I feel like I am welcomed home.
And so, no more running.
I’m simply coming to visit everyone, one family at a time…my family, everyone of you.
Love you all , see you all soon…or eventually.

James Claire arriving in BORA BORA by tender...1.10.2011

If I ever have a honeymoon, this is the sanctuary I will reside in...Absolute heaven with soft golden sands !!

1 comment:

  1. WOW such a lovely thought. I am completely sold to it, James.
    The island looks gorgeous, I envy you.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete