Monday, October 21, 2013

JOHNNY ROCKETS - Burgers done right !


Growing up in Australia we learnt of the heyday of Americana through comics, magazines and television, but living in a bastion of all things British we never experienced it. 
Arriving in the USA in the 90’s and not travelling Route 66 or the famed ‘old guard’ areas, sticking mainly to the major cities, I still never experienced it. Washington DC and Chicago, New York, San Francisco and LA where all grown up when I arrived.
Flash forward to Bahrain twenty years later and I find Johnny Rockets a Burger restaurant which is truly iconic of all things Americana during the hey dey era.
First and foremost Johnny Rockets is a Burger restaurant. And you know what, they do it really well. At first, there is something kind of ‘kitsch’ about the smiley face in ketchup placed before you. But after a while you realize that you’re in a burger joint and troubles of life really should stay outside. This is Johnny Rockets, relax and enjoy your burger and let the troubles of the world permeate your soul after you’ve dined.


Bahrain now sports two Johnny Rocket stores, one in Al Ali Mall, in Seef area and the other at the Lagoon Park at Amwaj.
The menu at Johnny Rockets is lengthy and has every conceivable form of burger you could imagine. Fries come plain or loaded, with cheese and chilli and you can even have truffle fries, which are part of the new Wagyu experience.
Johnny Rockets is not just about the food though, it truly is a place to go and relax and chill, not momentarily, like say a café, but for an afternoon. Dining slow here is better than rushing, simply you can eat more if you go slow, and then you truly get the JR experience. It’s the décor, the white hats on their staff, the silver topped straw holders, the tabletop juke box selectors and the whole vibe and atmosphere which makes Johnny Rockets the amazing place that it is.
Don’t get me wrong, the food here is sensational. 
While I can never understand why a place that serves burgers and fries and wants you to drop as much money as possible has their booths so tight and seating so close to the tables, making it tough for a big guy like me to sit at them, I did find at the Amwaj outlet the staff where kind enough to advise me to push the booth seating back a little for space, without scoffing at my requirement to need to do so. I appreciate that.
Seating otherwise is booth, tables or bar side. I’d love to sit at the bar sometime, but the concept requires that when the restaurant is busy that the staff do a quick song and dance routine (literally not figuratively) and for that reason I find the bar counter area too close to the action and too focal a position to be siting in. I hate being center of attention anywhere. I am not a fan of the whole show and song routine, I feel sorry for the staff in having to do that. It is embarrassing for me and must be for them, to one minute be your waiter trying to get your attention and respect and the next being reduced to show ponies for the management and concept sake. But it does make the kids smile and I guess that’s truly the demographic for the franchise, so I just prefer to sit further back within the restaurant for my own sake.
So if your in need of some cheering up and require a smiley face in ketchup to get your frown to turn upsidedown, or if your just in need of a great burger and fries, or  for a drink that is a meal in itself (ask for the apple pie shake-it is exactly what it sounds like, a slice of perfect apple pie buzzed into a milkshake- Dear God I thought I’d gone to heaven), then Johnny Rockets is your place.
I may have grown up without experiencing Americana, but I did grow up watching Dallas, and any restaurant who’s initials are JR, is about as American as they get. And Johnny Rockets, fills my needs on multiple levels. It could only be more American if the servers where on roller skates, but I think that was a later era.


Fries done right !! Well Done Johnny Rockets !! Load those bad boys full of tasty ingredients.

They even do salads....just so that the burger and apple pie shake don't feel so guilt ridden I think !!

GO Wagyu for the ultimate burger experience....Heaven!!

No comments:

Post a Comment